Housed in a historic building dating back to 1853, this museum and gallery has a permanent collection of exquisitely preserved 18th- and 19th-century furniture along with antique maps of Curaçao and the Caribbean and works by early 20th-century Dutch and Caribbean painters. The museum has exhibition space reserved for up-and-coming as well as established Curaçaoan artists.
Previously it was an old Military Hospital, and was given its new function as a museum by Dr. Chris J.H. Engels together with his father-in-law Rudolf F.W. Boskaljon. Together with the community of Curaçao, they helped raise 80,000 guilders for the acquisition of the inventory.
The Curaçao Museum officially opened its doors on March 7th of 1948. The collections found at The Curaçao Museum dates back to the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st century.
Highlights of the museum include the various paintings of well-known local and international artists, Curaçao furniture from the 18th and 19th century, the cockpit of the SNIP (KLM’s first airplane that crossed the ocean from Holland to Curaçao), a traditional Curaçao kitchen, a Carillon that dates back to 1951 and beautiful sculptures by Luis Brion, Emanuel Piar, Yubi Kirindongo, Hortence Brown, Phillipe Zanolino and others, that can be found in the garden of the museum.
Musical soirées and other activities are also organized on occasion.