Located on the east side of the Saint Anna Bay in Willemstad, this fortification dates back to 1635. Strategically located, the fort overlooks the entry into the harbor and protects the city.
The fort contained wooden structures like the garrison’s church, dwellings for the troops, warehouses and water reservoirs. Fort Amsterdam was a heavily armed fortification stocked with 13 guns, four of which were heavy and were located in the southwestern bastion.
The heavy and gently sloping exterior walls are around 3.2 meters high and the ramparts built atop these have narrow crevices designed for firing purposes.
This fort has played an active part in the island’s history from its construction to the English occupation that lasted until 1816. Later, however, the fort lost its defensive significance through the construction of the Waterfort.