The Queen Emma Bridge runs across the St. Anna Bay in Curaçao. It connects Punda and Otrobanda. The bridge is hinged and opens regularly to enable the passage of oceangoing vessels. At the opposite end from the hinge is a small shelter where an operator controls two diesel engines that turn the propellers. The propellers are mounted perpendicular to the length of the bridge and allow it to swing open parallel to the shore.
The process only takes a few minutes to complete. The bridge was built in 1888 and was completely renovated in 1939.
It was originally a toll bridge. Individuals without shoes were permitted to cross the bridge without paying the toll; however, today a toll is no longer applicable.
When the bridge swings open, two ferries spring into action allowing pedestrians to cross the water. The ferries are also free of charge.
At night the bridge lights up and is quite appealing to watch.