On the occasion of the coronation of Queen Wilhelmina in 1898, the ladies' club "Entre Nous" took the initiative to plan to have a park constructed in the empty square at the time. Wilhelmina Park was inaugurated on 31 August, 1898. In 1933 the ladies' association "Entre Nous" donated a statue of the queen. It is a creation of the Italian sculptor, Pietro Ceccarelli.
The queen is represented standing upright in a niche on a tall pedestal. When the park was restructured at the end of the fifties, the statue, which was first facing the east, was turned.
The original setup of the park has been altered in the course of the years. The park is now surrounded by a handful of attractive government and office buildings.