The museum is the brainchild of Les Fruits de Mer, a nonprofit organization dedicated to natural history education, and co-founded by author, Mark Yokohama. Touted as a "Biological Exhibition and Institute of Natural Philosophy" the new museum contains all kinds of interactive exhibits, informative programs, and exciting displays about Sint Maarten/St. Martin's nature and wildlife.
Fort Amsterdam was the first fort to be built in 1631 by the Dutch settlers in the Caribbean. The Spaniards seized the fort two years later and chose to enlarge it and strengthen its defenses in order to protect the sea route to the Greater Antilles and Puerto Rico and to control access to Great Bay, opposite Philipsburg.
Landuis Kenepa, in Bandabou in the western part of the island, is a sprawling country estate constructed in 1693. It was once one of the most prosperous plantations on the island. Its buildings were fully restored in 2005 by the government’s Monument Foundation.
The St. Maarten National Heritage Foundation and Museum, located in Philipsburg, is a non-profit organization that is financed through donations. Established on October 4, 1993 as the result of a merger between the St. Maarten National Park Foundation and the St Maarten Museum Foundation.
To the southwest of Marigot, the Spring Sugar Mill takes its name from a spring that was located nearby. Sugar production was started at the factory in 1772 by traders from Guadeloupe. For a century, the factory produced a significant output of sugar and rum.