Want to see a “crabitat” in action? Or how about learning about “gut life”? And no, we’re not talking about building a six-pack or losing stubborn belly fat! Or maybe you’d like to learn about the thousands of “tourists with wings” that visit the island each year from as far away as the Arctic Circle. It’s all on tap at the brand new Amuseum Naturalis in Grand Case.
When the Spanish abandoned the island in 1648, some French and Dutch families settled in the mountains and started to cultivate taro and tobacco. n time they sought to persuade their respective governments to claim possession of these areas.
Durat Bridge was built in 1789 at the same time as Fort St. Louis and Marigot prison. This stone bridge sits on the edge of Marigot in the direction of Grand Case. At that time the people requested that the bridge be named Durat Bridge in honor of their much-respected governor.
Fort Amsterdam was the first fort to be built in 1631 by the Dutch settlers in the Caribbean. The Spaniards seized the fort two years later and chose to enlarge it and strengthen its defenses in order to protect the sea route to the Greater Antilles and Puerto Rico and to control access to Great Bay, opposite Philipsburg.
Overlooking Marigot Bay sits the imposing figure of Fort St. Louis, the largest historical monument on St. Martin. Named for the famous crusading King of France, it was originally built in 1767 to protect the settlement at Marigot from foreign invaders.